Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Who I Am


It was a warm early June day in 1997. My mom and I were sitting on a small bleacher stand watching my sister’s softball game. My sister should have felt lucky that I paused my writing in order to see her hit the ball. My eight year old self had more important things on her mind. I was in the middle of my newest short story; The Train. It was quickly becoming my best piece of work which featured an alcoholic mother and daughter traveling on an overnight train to Kansas.

My name is Alexandra Gordon and I am a sophomore from New Hampshire attending American University. Entering college, I had little to no idea who I really was or what I wanted to do with my life. I felt pretty lost coming to school so far away from home. However, I clung to something I knew I loved; writing. Since the time I learned how to write, I was always composing stories. Although my dreams and expectations have changed now that over ten years have passed, I still plan to write, whether it is for a non-profit, a newspaper, or a law office.

Aside from my plans for the future, my personality also defines me. When asked to say something about who I am, my roommate and friend said “Alex is one of those friends who you can go to with any problem and she will always make you feel better.”

I love to help people and would describe myself as genuinely compassionate. In addition, I love ice cream, have been a competitive gymnast since the age of five, love my family, love to be goofy, love to travel, and want to save Latin America. I also like to approach life with the motto “Do what you Love”.

No comments:

Post a Comment